Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Precious Gifts - the Silhouette



For starters, I have or never will claim that I am anything close to a "Martha Stewart", but in the state of our economy I try to be as crafty as possible to stretch the dime. Being that I am a mother of two children {2 years and 4 months} I have very limited time to do anything. So this requires me to find crafts that I can do in less than an hour time. For this Christmas I wanted to give my parents a little something special that was both quick and affordable. I was thinking back to my elementary days and remembered doing silhouettes for a history project. I quickly snatched up my 2 year old, put the iPhone in her hand, and told her to stand sideways and play away. It took me all of 2 minutes to get "the" shot with my digital camera. I used Photoshop to make the silhouette but it can also be done the old fashioned way {see below for instructions}. Find an old frame, glue the silhouette on contrasting paper, and viola! and instant treasure for years to come!
{Tip: be creative and use anything you have lying around the house for that extra cool effect. Instead of black paper, use colored paper, paper with a fun design, or even fabric. The possibilities are limitless!}

Instructions for using Photoshop to create a silhouette:
  1. Photograph subject, in profile, with a digital camera. Your camera should be on the same level as your subject. Try to shoot against a pure white background: This makes it easier to digitally remove the background later on.
  2. Open your photo in Photoshop. With the Magic Wand tool, select the {preferably white} background for removal. Once clicked, the background will be outlined and highlighted. Go to 'edit' and select 'cut.' The background will disappear.
  3. Go to 'image' and select 'adjustments.' Select 'desaturate' as this removes all color. Also in 'adjustments' select 'brightness/contrast.' Both lower the brightness, and increase the contrast: your image will take on the form of a silhouette. If your picture hasn't fully silhouetted, fill in the rest of the figure with black, or another color, using the Paintbucket tool.
  4. Adjust the photo to your desired dimensions. When satisfied, save the file as a JPEG.
  5. Print your photo. Trim the edges, and place it in a  frame.
 Instructions for creating a silhouette the old fashioned way:
  1. Photograph subject, in profile, with a digital camera. Your camera should be on the same level as your subject. Try to shoot against a pure white background: This makes it easier to digitally remove the background later on.
  2. Make a copy of the photograph and carefully cut out the profile with sharp scissors. 
  3. Trace the silhouette onto heavy black paper, using either a white or yellow lead pencil that will show up on black paper. Cut out the tracing carefully.
  4. Choose heavy white or ivory paper as background paper for mounting the silhouette portrait. Apply rubber cement to the back of the black silhouette and affix it to the background paper. Frame as desired.

No comments: