Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Road Trip

This past weekend we had to take an unexpected road trip to the hill country. We planned it perfectly; we would wait until their nap time and they would sleep the entire way! This worked until the driver of a large 18-wheeler slammed on his breaks and decided to lay on his horn waking the girls up in unison – a mere 45 minutes into our 3 hour drive. Fifteen minutes later I found myself climbing into the backseat to entertain the girls. Neither Dora the Explorer nor Ratatouille were cutting it. I read them books, sang songs, played patient/doctor with Bean as she administered “shots” in my arm and wrapped my “wounds” with water bottle labels. In between my “doctor” visits, my husband and I were entertaining the idea of a Disneyland trip in the near future. He, being the positive one, thought it would be an amazing trip and something that Bean would remember forever. I, on the other hand, know that it will be somewhat fun; but mostly brutal and exhausting. I mean, would an almost 3 year old really enjoy a themed park at such a young age?

Apparently, yes.

The theme was chic safari. This instantly got Bean's attention; she was thrilled from the moment she stepped through the doors. Her energy level went from medium to extreme in under a second. She took off methodically, like a cheetah hunting prey close in sight. She headed west, investigating every crevice, nook, and cranny. She jumped into the white slip and slide luckily avoiding injury. She started to turn on the water as I quickly reminded her that it wasn't the time. Before I could finish my sentence, she was already out and heading east to investigate further. As I ran to keep up with her, I had realized that I was two steps too slow. She was already on top of the zebra-patterned trampoline screaming from the top of her lungs. “Watch me! Whoooooa! This – is – so - sooooo - fun!”, she said while laughing and jumping. I started to reach for her arm and she pulled away like we had magnetic repulsion. She quickly jumped down and ran toward the huge screen displaying local activities. She gazed at the screen in awe....3, 2, 1....she was off. She quickly jumped up on the adjacent trampoline, laughing and screaming with all of her might. Ladybug mimicked her sister as she too began to scream with excitement - shaking her arms, kicking, and squirming trying to break my release to join her big sister. Brett swooped in behind Bean pulling her down, and started to spin her in a circle while kissing her face. They were having way too good of a time. I looked down at Ladybug's pouty face, her big blue eyes looking up at me, begging me to give in. I rolled my eyes then started to spin Ladybug around while kissing her face as well. Giggles, laughs, and smiles filled the air.

“OK, NOW can we get out of here and to get some food!?”, I asked. “But mom, I looooove it here! This is the best! Can't we just eat here?”, questioned Bean. Brett and I looked at each other with an agreeing nod. “Fine. Throw me the menu babe. I guess we're ordering in”, I said. Bean screamed hooray, ran and started to jump on the trampoline (read: the bed) again.......

Who knew that so much fun could be had in a hotel room; and definitely a lot more affordable than Disneyland.

No comments: